Lounge Bra Life

by | Apr 19, 2017 | Bras and Underwear, Garment, Sewing Projects | 0 comments

CHAMON! CHAMONNNA!
Y’ALL READY FOR DIS bun nun na

I MADE A BRA (of the sport variety).
WITHOUT A PATTERN (of the purchased variety).
I! AM! A! MOTHER! FLIPPIN! FASHION! DESIGNER!

All LOL jokes aside, I don’t actually wear sports bras at all, because my idea of ‘sport’ usually involves marathoning Netflix shows (and you don’t even need a bra for that #freeboobs). However, I wanted to become a Serena Williams style sports legend and was also low key obsessed with a post from Lauren Taylor’s Instagram of her Paper Cut Patterns Pneuma Tank Bra. I wanted to recreate the look of that bra, without
1. having to go out and get supplies
2. buying the pattern like a norrmal person

I have recently gone full Confessions of a Shopaholic on PDF patterns, so mama had to rein it in a little bit. However, I’m bassssically a genius sewing wizard over here and thought I could do a bunk version of that bra with just using my mind. The Paper Cut patterns version looks totally cool though, and I would really like to make the tank top in my future Serena Williams style sport life.

PS. these progress shots are pretty basic (in the Starbucks PSL way), but maybe in the future I will get better at these things. (cut to a flashback of 2015 Natasha saying the exact same thing on an early blog posts). I AM NOT A STRONG PERSON.

Anyways, one of the big reasons I had the motivation to do this project was that I already had the fabric stashed from my Leggings, and I thought this would be a perfect scrap buster/experiment. I had this old ratchet sports bra from way back that I decided to use as a template. As the RTW bra was already a bit big, I traced around the body and top of the straps without adding a seam allowance to shrink the sizing a bit. For the back, I traced around the bra again, however left out the straps entirely as I knew I was going to have a different effect. Once complete, I used the outer fabric to cut out the lining and bada-bing bada-boom, I had a bra. Welcome back to my body, melange jersey.

Oh, by the way, from here on out just know that white balance is a thing that I do not, and I repeat, do not know how to fix.

Let’s talk about the random paper towel in that picture? JK lets never think about that again.
Now, I knew that I wanted fancy-dancy strappies, so after stuffing around with my serger over and over again, I ultimately zigzag stitched up some 1 inch strips of the fabric. I found a very ingenious point turner hack to get them the right side out on the So Sew Easy tips page, found here. Using a straw and a chopstick was a truly #lifechanging event in the fabric loops portion of my history.

I used my experience from my Sewaholic Saltspring Dress from eons ago, and attached the straps to the front bodice. Long story short, you position the strap and bodice right sides together, matching raw seams, and sandwich between the lining. It looks wrong (because the straps are facing down and not up) but it is a sewing miracle and works out in the end. I then draped the straps over my hot bod to see where I wanted them to sit in the back, and used the same technique to stitch the straps to the back.

These are my fancy natural light progress shots, because there was one day where the sun came out again.

Finally, I serged the side pieces of the bodice and lining together, zigzag stitched around the top, and added a small band to the bottom to enclose the raw edges which I also zigzag stitched around to make sure the serged seams stayed in pace. I could have used an elastic in the bottom band, but I don’t really like elastics so 🤷🤷🤷.
In the interim of finishing this piece and posting this blog, I also purchased a MOTHER FLIPPIN DRESS FORRRRMMMMM.
* air horn noise *

It made this post very easy, as I didn’t really feel like bearing that much skin before bikini season (lols), but you still get to see this bra in action!

Bow chicka wah waaaooo. Look at those curves. Those metal, metal curves.

OH, YOU DIDN’T KNOW? I did fancy schmancy straps. What a reveal! I created a 3 piece strap instead of the 2 piece of the Pneuma tank, and I am totally inlove. It looks great on my body, and will work perfectly with some backless things…that..may..be..inmyfuture.

No big deal, I’m basically a master weaver around here.

All in all, project: SUCCESS! This is now my go to lounge bra (aka the only lounge bra I have) and I am totally inlove.
It also works really well when I am sewing and fitting garments to my body (not that I need to do that anymore).
10/10 will do again.

Hope you are all having a swell Wednesday!
♥n

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram

Follow Me! It’s Easy as Pie!

Be a dope ass kang or kween and get email ups when I post cool stuff.

Insta-haaiiii

0 Comments

Leave a Reply